Sunday, July 8, 2007


An ode to single parenthood.


Having read numerous articles by individuals who ignorantly express their opinions on of single parenthood, I would like to address some of these issues.


I am a single mother who made this choice not as a desire to get married, far from it, but for the sole reason that at that point in my life (having miraculously survived the terrorist attacks on the world trade center on 9/11) I could not bear to play games with life.Being a mother has been a joy but as an African, it has been an experience and I must say not a delightful one at times.


Certain analogy just goes to show the extent to which black people can be classist and egregious. As much as I want to live life as if I want an encore, I also want to satisfy my conscience. Since I could not bring myself to please my family and peer, I am the proud mother of a little boy.


He is such an adorable and lovable individual; I totally admire my son and think he has had another lifetime here. Nevertheless, importantly he has blessed my life in ways I could never imagine. My life is so much fuller, my dreams fulfilled. It’s like everything I touch turns to gold. My career has not only flourished but I have been able to imbibe my son’s innocence into my daily productivity and processing.



Now to the culture and traditions I was raised in, it is forbidden in Ibo land to have a child outside wedlock, especially in a family woven in Catholicism. You become a tokunbo, ostracized, tired and worn. I have met men who looked down on me and judged me once I tell them I have a child.


I know and have read about women who without meeting or knowing me assume I got pregnant to trap the baby's father into marriage.Far from it, marriage was not even an option as this pregnancy was not planned, and this relationship ended before the stick turned blue on the home test kit from Duane Reade.


I will take responsibility for my actions as an adult but while I am not an advocate of anything immoral, contraception does fail once in a while and even though we used protection and it failed, I look at my child everyday and agree he was meant to be here.


“It is what it is”, there are decisions we make in life. Emotional, psychological and spiritual, you let the tide of time sweep you up for posterity to judge.It is also important to note that people become single parents for various reasons either, by choice, widowed, divorced, spousal separation, immigration and incarceration. Yet in all these choices, the support system in the Diaspora though lacking becomes highly appreciated.



I hope for a good life for my child, and me if I am destined to do this again (bear children) I want to do it the right way, not that I regret my decision now as I am very blessed. I just know that the God ordained way for a family to function is to have two parents in a family structure raise children who will in turn pass these values to another generation.


Our orientation as Africans is that of holding the institution of marriage in very high esteem, regardless of how decadent our marriages are according due to recent polls. Nevertheless, there are beautiful people out there who deserve to know and love a child regardless of biological affiliations.


Civilization is moving at a supersonic speed and people from the western world pay tens of thousands of dollars and go to any length overseas to adopt children. However, a typical African man will rather marry a barren woman than be with a single mother because of the stigma and their ancient belief system.



I have seen relationships that have grown in leaps and bounds because of a level of maturity that these individuals manifest. To matter, raise God-fearing children, and grow old together until God calls them home.


For everything, I have been through in my very young life, for all the diplomas acquired and still to acquire, nothing compares to the joy of motherhood. I enjoy looking at my son and even though I will opt to share this experience with a partner because no drug will make me high enough to ever believe I can ever do this (parenting) alone, I am very happy and satisfied with my conscience.An ideal family should have a man and a woman in mutual understanding of each other's responsibilities.


Living in America and understanding this society's acceptance of a single parent family leaves me in awe of if this can ever happen in Nigeria. This is because of the evil meted out on widows by the late husband's family even if the man died of HIV/AIDS he contacted from a prostitute.



Life is hard enough; the only legacy we can leave for our children in this lifetime is the experiences we hold before the sunsets on our lives. I want to be remembered for the person my son becomes tomorrow, I owe him a good life because he is a choice I made and he deserves the love of everyone around me.



23 comments:

Uzo said...

Wow! Well said and i applaud your choice. I have heard of the difficulties of being a single working mother and i commend you many many times for doing this and i am sure doing it well

Ms. Catwalq said...

I am one of the very few Nigerian women who was never sold on the idea of marriage. Maybe it was because I had seen my mother give up too much to keep her husband and us children happy.
everytime, i express my desie not to marry but that I would like to adopt, i am warned not to curse myself. like being a single mother is the biggest failure you can be when in fact if women face up to the fact that at the end of the day, whether or not you have a ring on your finger, u r still the primary upbringer (if there is such a word0 of your child.
You know why the west continues to grow and Nigeria doesn't?
it is simply that unlike us, the westerners include in their the benefits of their citizenship, every single individual, blood related or not. That s why we can go to their countries and become citizens on their land and they cannot do the same in ours. Ineffcetive or not, everyne counts and should be valued but I think above all, that should be the woman in all forms

SET said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My 2 cents said...

@Uzo,

Thanx, but it's really not that hard. I have the support of friends and family.

@Catwalq,

I don't know about swearing off marriage, if done right it is a beautiful thing. I owe my strenght to the choices I made at a young age and I have no regrets.

SET said...

HMMMM LADY YOU ARE MATURED AND THAT IS YOUR WIN. YOUR UNDERSTANDING AND YOUR EXPERIENCES ARE YOURS TO MAKE YOU LIVE IN COMFORT, REGARDLESS OF THE SCRUTINY OUR AFRICAN SOCIETIES RENDERS US. LIKE YOU SAID BEING A SINGLE PARENT COMES FROM A LOT OF CONSEQUENCES AND CHOICES. WHAT IS YOU ARE MARRIED AND LOSES YOUR HUSBAND TO WHATEVER, YOU AUTOMATIC BECOME A SINGLE PARENT. WHAT IF THE MAN LEAVES WITHOUT AND ISSUES FROM YOUR PART? WHAT IF YOU WANT A CHILD ON YOUR OWN AND CHOSE TO ADOPT, YOUR BECOME A SINGLE PARENT, YET FULFILLED EVEN MAYBE NOT EVEN LOOKING TO GET MARRIED EVER. PEOPLE NEED TO LET OTHER PEOPLE LIVE AND BE WHO THEY FREELY WANT, TO BE FULFILLED. I AM GLAD FOR LIFE IN AMERICA BECAUSE IT HELPS ONE TO HAVE AN OPENED MINDET ABOUT A LOT OF THINGS.
I HAVE A MALE FRIEND WHO ALWAYS ASK ME WHEN I AM GETTING MARRIED, HE IS MARRIED AND IS ALWAYS ASKING ME TO FIND HIM A GIRLFRIEND TOO. WHAT THE HELL? YOU ARE ASKING ME TO GET MARRIED AND YOU ARE ASKING ME TO FIND YOU A GIRLFRIEND? WHAT EXAMPLES ARE YOU SHOWING? I TOLD HIM THAT I WILL GET MARRIED WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT BUT I WASN'T WORRIED ABOUT IT, MY PARENTS DO NOT BOTHER ME AND I KNOW THEY WANT THE BEST FOR ME. THEY ARE SO LOVELY THAT THEY DO NOT FORCE ME INTO ANYTHING BECAUSE THEY WANT IT TO BE RIGHT. I HAVE A SISTER WHO IS MARRIED AND I ASSURE HER ALWAYS THAT IF THIS MAN IS A FOOL AND TREATS YOU BADLY, REMEMBER THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE WITH HIM BECAUSE OF YOUR DAUGHTER. WE TEND TO FORCE OUR FAMILY, FRIENDS AND OURSELVES TO STAY IN BAD SITUATION BECAUSE SOCIETY WILL LOOK AT YOU IN A BAD WAY IF YOU ARE A DIVORCEE OR SINGLE MOTHER. EVEN THOUGH THAT MAN SHE MAY BE INVOLVED WITH IS A PIG. I AM BEING PATIENT AND WAITING ON THE LORD, I TRULY WOULD LIKE TO FIND MYSELF AND GET ON MY FEET WELL WELL, BE THE MOST INDEPENDENT WOMAN I CAN BE AND THEN PRESSURE MYSELF LATER ABOUT OTHER THINGS. YOUR ARE A SMART WOMAN, I SPOKE TO YOU AND IN A MATTER OF MINUTES I KNEW YOU WERE AMAZING, ENJOY YOUR SON, A GIFT OF LIFE AND LIKE I TOLD YOU ON THE PHONE I AM WISH I HAD THE JOY OF HAVING A SOMEONE TO LIVE WITH, BECAUSE I AM ALONE MOST OF THE TIME IN MY PLACE. BUT I KNOW IT WILL BE OK. KEEP YOUR HEAD UP, I HOPE THIS POST HELPS SOMEONE AS IT DID ME.

My 2 cents said...

@ Set,

Thanx Mama, you know I used to worry about what will happen to me and my son. Even my ex told me he'll see what will become of me but I thank God for little mercies. I am happy and content and that's all that matters. We are beautiful and good women and deserve the best. God's promises to his children is the best and that is what we'll get. Your heart is right and that's important.

SET said...

@ 2CENTS, THANKS. DON'T WORRY, LIFE HAS IT UPS AND DOWNS, BUT ONLY YOU CAN GIVE UP AND LET IT HAVE IT'S WAY WITH YOU. FAITH AND HIS LOVE, FAITHFULLNESS AND GRACE AMONGST MANY OTHER ARE WHAT WE LIVE BY.

BOBBY said...

I ADMIRE EVER BIT OF YOU. You are amazing...

I dont look down on you, instead i think you are a freaking hero!

MY mom is a single mom and she did amazingly well, and she tried...

I know how our society is...but only you knows what matters and thats your chile~

I just want to like hug the shit outta you.

And you are not a SINGLE MOTHER...God is there to be your sons father and guide...

YOU ARE A PROUD PARENT!

Love you babe!!!!!

My 2 cents said...

@Set,
Thanx ma, much love.

@Bobby,

This has got to be one of the nicest thing anyone has said to me. Thanx a lot, this is love for real ma, love...

Admin UD said...

Now, thats what i cann positivie attitude. The spirit is willing and the flesh too. The sky can no longer be a limit but just a stepping stone to greater heights.

I always tell friends in similar situations. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be cynical about love;
even in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Be Happy.

1one

Femme said...

a friend once told me he could never marry a girl that already had a child. if this was because of the whole step children thing,i would understand, but it wasnt. every body's having pre-marital sex so chances are someone will get pregnant.nobody talks about it but everybody knows someone that had an abortion.
i dont understand why nigerian men think they have any right to brand new and virginal. nobody does, unless u are a vigin urself.


a child is always a good thing and are the purest form of love u will ever know.
take care

Anonymous said...

well said..girl one love!

Remi Fagbohun said...

My heart goes out to you...
I have heard how HARD the Ibo culture can be, but I guess I needed to be reminded...

Even though I am married, I seriously grew up with catwalq's dispostion. Married keee-me?? HELL NO!!
I found almost all marriages unhappy , because they were centered around the men and my home was an awful example of what marriages was/should be. I so wanted no part of it!!

I say all this to say that you are a strong beautiful young woman. I am sorry to say that our culture has both good and bad parts. There are certain things that should be taken and some that should nevere have existed in the first place!!

Never let anyone put you down, and cast off the pple that judge you for making a decison that you are happy with. Its tough, but can be done.
You are not a failure and I am sure youre a great mom!! He is luck to have you :)
The guy that YOU decide you want to be with will also be lucky to have someone as warm and as strong as you.

Not everyone judges...remember that!!

IJEOMA said...

You are a brave woman.. And i really like how you tackled this issue head on. I have a friend. who is also a single mother. She is my sole source of inspiration. The fact that she has a kid has never been a reason for her not to excel and aspire for the best.

Great post

My 2 cents said...

@Ugo,

A positive attitud ein anything never hurts anyone, I have an even better attitude because I sort a higher view/opinion before making this decision.

@Femme,

Thanx, You know the one man who ever told me he'll never marry a woman with kids, died exactly two days after her apologised profusely for such an ignorant remark. I say to each his own.

@Pink satin,

Thanx love.

@Blunt Remi,

I'm humbled by the love really, I am so lucky to have my son I say. Eevryone who had some folishness or the other to say when I had hin are saying otherwise now. He is an adorable shy but rambunctious gentleman.I am almost embarassed at times at the level of some people's level of wickedness but as I always say to each his own. The good lord who put this load on my shoulder has carried it for me and will continue to.

@Ijeoma,

Nne m oma, I thank you for the love, it's highly appreciated.

IJEOMA said...

you are welcome dear.. keep doing you?

Mr.Fineboy said...

Too true. You have a beautiful son who will look into your eyes and love you unconditionally. That's more precious than any stranger's approval. Keep loving that gift of yours, I tip my hat to you.

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

HEAR HEAR! I wish you and your baby the best! Have a nice weekend girl!

♥♫♪nyemoni♫♪♥ said...

I just had to come back and say well done to you... it's nice to see that you are taking on the task of being a single mum wonderfully... I know the you are adequately equipped to handle the task of raising a wonderful boy and I beleive that God aint done with you...Good luck!

My 2 cents said...

@Mr Fineboy,

Thanks for the kind words, they mean so much.

@Nyemoni.
Lol! You are so funny, thanks for stopping by, means a lot.

enigma said...

I am a single parent like you raising the most beautiful being on earth. I found your post very inspiring and reminiscent of my experince whilst i was pregnant with my child. In my misery at that period i never for once doubted the fulfillment and joy that his coming will bring forth. Like you stated people who had doubts are 'singing my praises' and even if they weren't i am more than content with the road i chose to tread. I am proud of motherhood and the sense of achievement it gives me as prior to my being a mother, there was an everpresent void in my heart. He has filled that void and my emptiness of old banished to oblivion. I have found contentment, a quiet peace and a secret joy that a lot people cannot comprehend. I am content. I will finish with a biblical verse that acknowledges the honourable 'task' that is motherhood - and it goes thus; 'a lot of women do noble things but you surpass them all'. Very powerful and humbling. (shame i can't remember the exact chapter and verse for your ref).You are blessed!!!

My 2 cents said...

@Enigma,

Thanx for stopping by, you are living my life so I'm sure I have to say no more. My life is full that is all I have to say.

O.šeyï said...

I applaud the strength in your decision. Of late, a few of my friends have been caught in this same predicament. One or two aborted, the rest got married ONLY because of the baby; a decision i am completely against. I find it silly and stupid to get married in hopes that the innocence of a child will draw you closer to someone that clearly is not interested in growing old with you. Its a cycle that always ends in anger, divorce, fights and instability especially for the child who never asked to be tarnished; all because we care so much what other people think. It's living in denial that never pays off.

You're an amazing role model for silly young girls out there, and more importantly your son. His approval is all that matters :D